Math course provides real-world skills through experience

Applied calculus is a math class that has been introduced to Madison in hopes of enabling students to apply math skills to their everyday lives.

Phoebe Cooper, Staff Reporter

Fairfax County has created Applied Calculus as a way to incorporate math into everyday life such as improving communication skills by presenting projects and using critical thinking to analyze data. Instead of memorizing equations, students learn to transfer calculus concepts into real life skills through the use of Excel, an electronic spreadsheet program, and researching business growth.

“We’re presenting problems where the answer isn’t so cut and dry. [Students] get to choose [their] own answers and explain [their] answers,” Applied Calculus teacher Carolyn Tabrizi said. “It’s more of a skill that you need, not just the procedural solving of equations.”

Instead of taking tests, students demonstrate their knowledge of calculus concepts through projects and real-life situations. During one class, students measured the heights of handicapped walkways throughout the school building using an equation to see if the walkway met the federally mandated heights for handicapped walkways.

For students who struggle with conventional math course methods, Applied Calculus is a novel way to learn mathematics. However, students are adapting to the changes.

“Having projects over tests could be either a blessing or a curse,” Ben Schwartz (’17) said. “A blessing because there’s less stress and more chances to express creativity, but a curse because there’s less margin for error.”

While students can usually retake tests, there are no chances to re-do the unit projects. Some students think that projects are a great alternative to testing. In fact, many believe that the math department should follow Applied Calculus’ lead in teaching life skills and assigning more projects.

“I think the material sticks with you more in projects because you actually have to apply [it],” Mackenzie Krol said (’17) “It is easy to memorize something for a test, and then forget about it.”

Others are confident that tests have an advantage over projects. Schwartz went on to say that with tests, it is possible to make corrections and easily identify the errors. However, projects are more difficult because they are not as straightforward, time-consuming, and can not be retaken.

With the majority of students accustomed to traditional curricula, this class takes an uncommon approach to what may advance the future of mathematic teaching procedures.