Madison media department introduces Madison News Network

Madison Walker, Staff Reporter

This year, the Broadcast Journalism class has been updated under the banner of the Madison News Network and has recommitted to informing the Madison staff and students about the latest SGA and club announcements. The show is accompanied by segments that highlight major events that occur around Madison. Along with its new name, the class has adopted a new show time, teacher and mission in pursuit of school unity and an informed student body.

Every morning, the show is broadcast during the first five minutes of the morning block instead of its previous time of air at the end of third period. The show starts with the pledge of allegiance, followed by the moment of silence and then progresses into morning news, which includes SGA and different club announcements.

In order to have daily videos available, the class films in advance. The network uses the video platform, “Vimeo”, to share links with teachers. By recording a day in advance, the news network has a chance to create graphics, use green screen special effects and incorporate editing skills into the news broadcast.
“The setup of our show is very different from last year because it doesn’t air live, so we have the freedom to create a ton of different segments using more current computer editing programs,” Rachel Corry (’17).
This year the class is headed by English Special Education teacher Maggie Foarde. Foarde has made changes to the format of the show to include the addition of segments that will highlight different parts of the Madison community.

“It is my goal to get information out about clubs and activities that might not otherwise be featured. I want the students of Madison to see themselves on the program and take pride in what they participate in,” Foarde said. “We have such talented students here and [Madison News Network] wants to feature that.”

The administration has strategically placed the Madison News Network in third period in order for SGA, the Madison News Network and the Hawk Talk to have access to each other. This class arrangement allows both news outlets to have opportunities to receive and communicate important information from the SGA to the faculty and students of Madison.

“Having SGA during the same period as Mad News makes communication easier for both of us. They can directly come take live footage instead of [going through] a longer process,” Alex Polymeropoulos (’18) said.

Last year, the Broadcast Journalism class was primarily comprised of seniors. As a result, only eight people were left in the class this year. The show is composed of anchors, editors and producers, and every student does a specific job in order for the show to run smoothly. When it comes to covering large events, every student pitches in to report and record everything.

“The show is a very good experience, and I highly recommend it. Everyone has their own part and everyone combines their talents to make the show unique,” Katie Ricketts (’18) said.