Rachel Hughes takes advantage of gap year opportunity

Brooke Barber, Staff Reporter

As the final wave of acceptance letters sweeps over the senior class, most applicants are eager to confirm enrollment to the college of their choice. However, not all students are in a hurry to begin a college career immediately upon graduation. The gap year, according to the American Gap Association, is “an experiential semester or year, typically taken between high school and college in order to deepen practical, professional and personal awareness.” Rachel Hughes (’17) is one student who has decided to take this academic hiatus.

“I applied to Virginia Tech early decision and planned on going there in the fall of 2017, until about a month ago when I was offered an opportunity to be an au pair for a family in Melbourne, Australia.” she said.

As an au pair, Hughes will essentially serve as a nanny for her host family in exchange for room and board.

Gap years have proven a common venture among European students for some time, and are rising in popularity in the United States. Just this past year, Malia Obama attracted considerable media attention upon deferring her acceptance to Harvard University to fulfill an internship at The Weinstein Company in New York City, subsequently opening dialogue about the advantages of postponing higher education. Although a relatively uncommon route within the Madison community, Hughes had very little reservations regarding her decision.

“I didn’t really need to think about it that much because it is such a unique opportunity, and my parents were very supportive” Hughes said.

Proponents of gap years have emphasized the value in a brief break from rigorous studies, as it may help students avoid possible psychological effects of prolonged academic stress. Despite criticism that they may steer students’ focus away from the future, gap years undoubtedly have the potential to foster maturity, self-awareness and confidence in career ambitions.

“I am hoping that this next year I will be able to step back from the stress of school and think about what I want to study. I am really excited to experience the culture and hopefully learn a few skills that come with real life experience,” Hughes said.

Given the hesitancy of many to stray from the traditional course of entering college directly after senior year, Hughes offers encouragement to those open to weighing their options.

“I was really lucky that this opportunity just landed in my lap, but I would tell other students that are thinking of taking a gap year that, if you find a cool program that you think is interesting – go for it. There will always be school to come back to, but most of these opportunities are valuable.”