Explore the nearby D.C metropolitan area

Jackie Stein, Staff Reporter

Being only a 35-minute metro ride from the National Mall gives endless opportunities to all ages to enjoy a low-budget, fun-filled day packed with sight-seeing, exploring, and good eats. A metro ride to the Smithsonian metro station from the Vienna station ranges from $3 to 6$, and parking at the Vienna station is free on the weekends.

After a short metro ride, one finds themselves in the core of the National Mall; a brief walk to pretty much any Smithsonian museum, national memorials and monuments, endless food trucks, and wide open grass parks.

The Smithsonian museums, such as the Holocaust museum, African-American history museum, U.S history museum, and modern art museum – just to name a few – are filled with a variety of different exhibits with no entrance fee. Close by are many  different memorials of former presidents, veterans, and important leaders which make for a great setting for the perfect insta.

The food trucks are a cheap way to grab a bite to eat without going over budget – the options are endless from Mexican, Greek, Chinese, and of course classic American. After exploring the mall, everyone can enjoy the great outdoors by joining in on a pick-up soccer game or tossing a Frisbee around on the grass field park on the mall.

The cost of a trip to the National Mall can range from 15$ to 20$, which in my opinion is really affordable for everyone, especially high school students on a tight budget like myself. With the craziness of school and work in full gear, taking a day on the weekend to head to the National Mall can be entertaining and inexpensive for a family or group of friends.