Madison junior exchanges Vienna for Madrid

Alex Costanza (middle) poses with her host family siblings in front of the Almudena Cathedral. (Top to bottom: Pablo, Maria, Costanza, Nacho)

Mark Young, News Editor

Alex Costanza (’19) , a student of James Madison, has recently departed from her home country to participate in a foreign exchange program, one situated in Madrid, Spain. The program, American Field Exchange (AFS), was formed shortly after World War 1 as a volunteer based ambulance service, and developed into a foreign exchange program after World War 2.

Her move to Madrid happened in September, but she’s already loving it there.

“Spain is an amazing place. The food, the people, the landscape, the warm culture. I feel like one of the luckiest high school girls in the world because I get to have this time here” Costanza said

She will be staying with her host family over the course of the next 10 months, a period in which she will get to experience Spanish culture, and the language as well. The school she is attending is called IES Antares, though the school system isn’t quite the same. Elementary school lasts the same amount of years: from kindergarten to 6th, but middle school extends an additional two years, from 7th to 10th, while high school is shortened by two years, leaving just 11th and 12th.

“School in Spain is primary, secondary, then ‘bachillerato’ which is basically the last two years of High School,” Costanza said.

Right now she’s an eleventh grader, which in Spain, would put her in her first year of “bachillerato”. Even though Costanza has been taking Spanish classes at Madison, her Spanish still isn’t good enough for easy communication. Luckily for Costanza though, the school she’s attending is bilingual, meaning almost everyone there speaks near perfect English. That is, everyone except for the teachers.

“The only class I can understand at the moment is English. Everyone is helpful though, and I’m always meeting new people,” Costanza said.

Even though she is enjoying Spain, naturally, she is a little homesick.

“I miss country music, football games, and the insane amount of school spirit Warhawks have. But most of all I miss my friends and family like crazy. I miss reading to my little sister and brother their bedtime stories and seeing my friends every morning in the same place.” Costanza said.

Her friends feel the same way, and they couldn’t miss her more.  

“Oh my gosh, she’s so bubbly,” Audrey Smith (’19) said.

”She’s like the nicest friendliest person you’ll ever meet, she gets along with everybody,” Chessy Bollettino (’19) said.

Back in Spain though, Costanza says her host family is “the best group of people I have ever met.” Delicious family dinners, fútbol (soccer) games outside, and relaxing together are just part of the everyday schedule in Spain.

“My life here is different but so good. Everyday on the way home from school I buy bread at the shop about a block away from my house,” Costanza said. Bread in Spain is a staple for most families, and eating less than one bar a day is considered strange for a larger family.

Alex believes that anyone that wants to do an immersion program definitely should. Her stepfather suggested AFS to Alex, as he did it his his senior year of high school, visiting the U.S. from Hungary. She believes that a program like this really is a game changer.

“Forget seeing a different culture – being part of it is what truly shapes you into a better person,” Costanza said.