New superintendent works to improve Fairfax County schools

Beck Inglese, Print Editor-in-Chief

On June 8, Dr. Scott Brabrand was appointed as the new Fairfax County Public Schools’ (FCPS) superintendent, after previously serving for five years as the Superintendent of Lynchburg City Schools. Brabrand will manage and organize FCPS activities through June 30, 2021.

With a Bachelor’s of Science from Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service, Brabrand also received a Master’s degree in Education from George Washington University and an Education Specialist Certification from Virginia Tech. Brabrand later received his Doctorate in Education Administration through Virginia Tech’s Educational Leadership and Policy Studies Program.

Brabrand originally started working as a social studies teacher at Herndon High School in 1994. He later became the school’s assistant principal and also served as an associate principal at Lake Braddock Secondary School. In 2005, Brabrand was named the next principal at Fairfax High School.

“I am excited for him,” Madison Principal Greg Hood said. “I kind of knew him before he left, and always have had very positive thoughts on him. I think he did a great job as a principal and he is somebody that I look up to. I think his ideas, his way about doing things in terms of FCPS will be great. I think he is somebody that will be a great leader, someone that we can look up to and rally around.”

During his three years at Fairfax High School as principal, the achievement gap for Hispanic students in math and English Standards of Learning (SOL) tests was eradicated and the percentage of students enrolled in Advanced Placement (AP) classes increased 54 percent.

With intentions of making FCPS the premier school system in the country, Brabrand and other FCPS leaders have been implementing “Ignite,” the FCPS Strategic Plan, which holds students as the center of focus.

The plan’s premise was developed by community member, employee, parent and student input and was created to “ignite the hearts and minds of the community” to guarantee each student an optimal education and future.

The purpose of this plan is to understand what FCPS is doing well and to explore what can be improved through opportunities of learning and reflection.

Brabrand is scheduling visits with every FCPS school in hopes of forming connections and building relationships with students, teachers, principals and educator professional organizations throughout the school division.

On Sept. 1, Brabrand walked through Madison’s front doors, making the visit one of his first of the school year. Walking the halls with Madison Principal Greg Hood, Brabrand introduced himself to staff members and immersed himself into class lessons as he interacted with students.

“I didn’t get to talk much to him, but he is so down-to-earth,” Office Assistant Paola Baltian said. “You could feel that his personality was very lively, very easy going and approachable. It was his idea to take the picture.”