FCPS introduces new One Fairfax Policies

Grace-Lauren Richmond, Business Manager

The Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) School Board adopted a new One Fairfax Policy at its meeting on Nov. 20, and the Board of Supervisors adopted the policy the following day at its meeting on Nov. 21. FCPS wants to embrace and support its growing diversity and address the social inequalities that exist in both the county and the school system. The policy provides a framework to advance equity in communities, economic development, housing options, education, environment, and transportation in 17 distinct ways. It outlines definitions and a process to implement creating equal opportunity.

“Fairness is our shared value as Americans, and every child should have an equitable chance to succeed if they work hard,” Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Chairman Sharon Bulova said in a FCPS press release announcing the initiative. “Not only does One Fairfax recognize that our commitment to equity is the right thing to do—but it also recognizes that equity is an economic imperative to help every resident thrive.”

The Fairfax County Government and FCPS, working in conjunction with higher education institutions, businesses, nonprofits, faith organizations and other establishments, will give particular consideration to a thriving community in order to promote equity with a goal to improve the education of students with unequal opportunities.

One of the ways that this policy will benefit students is by providing an education system that ensures all children will enter kindergarten at their optimal developmental level with equal  opportunities for success. The policy will also work to create an education that promotes a responsive, caring and inclusive culture where all feel valued, supported and hopeful, and provide every child with the resources necessary to achieve. Community and economic development policies and programs that promote wealth creation and ensure fair access for all people will also be achieved through One Fairfax’s implementation.

With this new policy, FCPS hopes to provide all of its students with more opportunities in school and in the community to create more successful students. Leadership Fairfax, a nonprofit organization that inspires, develops, engages and connects leaders across sectors to impact issues facing Fairfax County and the region, has agreed to work with the county as part of One Fairfax. The partnership hopes to identify actions that address the inequities. They have signed as a co-sponsor of the Equitable Growth Profile which works to expand opportunities for people of many races because of the growing economic opportunities in which every student is given a chance to succeed.

“The foundation for a successful community is a school system where all students have access to an excellent education—no matter where they live, where they come from or what challenges they may face each day,” Fairfax County School Board Chair Janie Strauss said in the press release. “The One Fairfax resolution and policy renew our promise to focus on each child by name and by need and to continue to develop a workforce that reflects the growing diversity of our student population.”