Students celebrate National Counseling Week

Mark Young, News Editor

This February 5th to 9th has was National Counseling week. Counselors at Madison, as well as other schools, have always been an enormous help to students whether it be course selection, colleges, or just wanting to talk.

“The help that we can provide to students is what keeps me coming back.  Everyone has a story and providing a safe space for students is so important.” Counselor Alex Gorman said. Him and other counselors agree that the most important part of being a counselor is being able to talk to students and make them feel safe. And a lot of students take counselors for granted; they often don’t think that without them, students would have no one to talk to even in the worst of situations.

“Every day is busy; however, counselors will never turn a student away that needs to talk about a problem or have a question answered” said Counselor Brandy Buckley. While it is great that they are always willing to talk to us, but in retrospect, we should take a moment to appreciate what they do for us as well. That’s why we should celebrate National Counseling as a time to celebrate what counselors do for us students.

“I wish I had more time to talk with students. Not just the ones that need to talk to me but also the ones that don’t. Sometimes I don’t learn things about you until your junior or senior year when we are talking about college.” said counselor Ashley Anderson. Anderson believes that as of right now, we as students don’t talk to counselors enough. Even if it’s just an introduction, talking to your counselor should remain a priority.