Spotlight on College Admissions during COVID-19

Mehru Adnan, News Editor

PHOTO COURTESY OF GOOD FREE PHOTOS ON UNSPLASH

Each fall, the college application season descends upon a frenzied pack of seniors and parents. For many, this time has been months in the making, since the arduous process often begins spring of junior year. Come fall, most seniors disappear indoors, with months of strategizing finally coming to a head. Simply put, when the leaves turn brown, it’s time to hunker down. 

But this year, it was not the endless essays or cold front sending people inside. Right as the class of 2021 began their college application process, COVID-19 forced families to stay at home and schools to switch to online learning in mid-March. FCPS has continued to stay virtual for most students since last year, affecting not only their grade performance, but extracurricular activities as well. 

“[Extracurriculars] have been practically non-existent for me,” Elizabeth Saunders (’21) said. “I already basically have what I’m going to have.”

Online learning also meant the cancellation of college tours: a significant factor for students researching where to apply. 

“It made applying a bit difficult because I wasn’t able to see the schools fully,” Anisa Nanavati (’21) said. “I took some trips to the buildings and looked at them from the outside, but that’s not the same as an actual campus visit.”

The increased isolation during this process has left students feeling disconnected during one of the most difficult parts of their high school careers.

“I have gotten more used to it, but it definitely has affected my sense of community because I’m really not around people as much as I normally am,” Saunders said. “And for an introvert like me, the activities or going to school helps me reach out to people.”

COVID-19 also forced colleges to re-evaluate their admissions process, as multiple standardized test dates were canceled across the country. Many institutions chose to go test-optional, with a select few colleges going so far as to drop the SAT/ACT requirement entirely. 

Ultimately, between online learning, university closures, test cancellations and the lack of extracurriculars, the class of 2021 is left uncertain in regards to college decisions during the spring. 

“My final decision will be less informed than I would have liked,” Nanavati said.

How will this year affect the class of 2022 and beyond? Some lasting changes have already begun to take place. On Jan. 19, the College Board announced the elimination of SAT Subject Tests and the SAT Essay in order to “reduce and simplify demands on students.” The news came with mixed reactions from both students and parents, some of whom relied on standardized tests to make up for weaker parts of their application.  

Regardless of the modifications that come with this historic year, the tradition of passing down senior wisdom to underclassmen persists. 

“Start early,” Nanavati said. “Definitely start early and apply early action to schools even if you’re not super super passionate about them. It’s worth it.”

“Everyone says college applications are really hard. And they are hard. But they’re not like mammoth projects that are impossible. You can honestly write all your application essays in a week if you just sit down and do it. So just sit down and do it.” Saunders said.