Activities to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day

Kirsten Carl, In-Depth Editor

St. Patrick’s Day, celebrated on Saint Patrick’s death date, officially began in 1631. While Madison students may be a tad too far away to celebrate in Dublin, Ireland, there are some celebrations available to students nearby. With the Irish holiday around the corner, it is officially time to start preparing for some Irish festivities. Students can enjoy activities through local festivities, and celebrations.

While some imagine St. Patrick’s day as a leprechaun, four-leaf clover celebration, its origins are much more significant. St. Patrick’s Day celebrates Irish culture and heritage, especially the arrival of Christianity in Ireland with Saint Patrick. Saint Patrick was a missionary who worked in Ireland to spread the Christian religion to the Irish people, some of which celebrated multiple gods and goddesses prior to Saint Patrick’s arrival. Because of this, St. Patrick’s Day holds religious significance, and some may choose to celebrate mass or partake in religious celebrations.

Some modern St. Patrick’s Day celebrations take form in street parades. A St. Patrick’s Day Parade will take place on Constitution Avenue in Washington D.C. on March 13. Celebrators will dress up in green, create posters and celebrate Irish culture. In Manassas, the Greater Manassas St. Patrick’s day parade on March 12 is an opportunity for people to dress up in their best Irish outfits and show off their Irish pride. There is also a St. Patrick’s Day 5K, Half and Full Marathon in Washington D.C. on March 13

Another way to celebrate this Irish holiday is ordering a Shamrock Shake. The mint flavored dessert can be found at McDonald’s and will leave the menu a couple of days after March 17.

Exploring traditional Irish food is also a good way to celebrate Irish culture this St. Patrick’s Day. Some classic dinner recipes include slow cooked Irish stew, stout-braised steak with stacked chips and herby lamb cobbler. Society Fair, a restaurant in Alexandria, Va. provides its customers with authentic Irish flavors and prides itself on celebrating Irish culture. In terms of dessert, baking (or eating) Irish apple cake, Irish shortbread and Irish oat cookies are a great way to experience the flavors of Ireland.

As Warhawk Nation celebrates this holiday, it is important to reflect on Irish traditions, culture and heritage. Celebrating St. Patrick’s day is more than wearing green; it is a celebration of the rich history and traditions of Irish culture. The Hawk Talk wishes everyone a happy and safe St. Patrick’s Day.