New interim superintendent joins FCPS

Bailey Moskowitz, In-Depth Editor

On Nov. 9, Dr. Steve Lockard traded his title of Fairfax County’s Deputy Superintendent for that of its Interim Superintendent. Having had experience as a teacher, assistant principal, principal and director in the past, Lockard is fully prepared to take on the duties expected of him in this new role.

“I am committed to working with our school board, our local and state leaders, our parents, our students, our community, our school division staff as we continue to be responsive to needs, open to improvements, as we continue to strive to best serve our students and support their achievement,” Lockard said in his acceptance speech for his new position.

As Interim Superintendent, Lockard will work to carry on the legacy of the previous Superintendent, Dr. Karen K. Garza, especially by continuing the Ignite strategic plan which largely encompasses students achieving the ideal “portrait of a graduate” as defined by FCPS.

“Honored at School Board this evening, we thank you, Dr. Garza, for your service to Fairfax County Public Schools. You will be missed!” Lockard said in a Tweet.

Lockard will also advocate and support the budget needs of the FCPS school system so that its successful programs are maintained. He will strive to innovate for future needs, and ensure that FCPS employees are competitively compensated. Finally, he will aim to continue to serve and support FCPS students, schools, and stakeholders.

“I am invested in the success of FCPS and, most importantly, our students.  I am motivated by what I see happening in our classrooms and schools each and every day and wanted to do my part in helping to maintain and grow our outstanding school system during this transitional time,” Lockard said when asked about his decision to take on the role of Interim Superintendent.

He does not plan to make any changes to FCPS during his time as Interim Superintendent.

“I recognize the challenges of the role of Superintendent as I watched very closely how Dr. Garza successfully navigated a number of challenges each and every day. One thing I know that will be incredibly helpful is the talented group of employees we have in FCPS,” Lockard said.

Throughout his time as deputy superintendent, Lockard both oversaw and helped to lead a movement to reorganize county offices and services so as to better support all those involved in FCPS. As of July 2014, this administrative reorganization went into effect, saving FCPS more than $637,000. Its main change was the splitting of FCPS territory into 5 regions, each of which were appointed a regional assistant superintendent.

Since the organizational transition, Lockard has overseen these assistant superintendents, as well as other officers, directors and programs.

Lockard has also played a significant role in leading the Project Momentum initiative, which focuses on improving the quality of the curriculum of schools that fall behind others in their achievements.

Previously, Lockard was both an associate superintendent and the Deputy Superintendent of Frederick County Public Schools in Maryland. While there, he helped to boost the county’s performance index rating to the best in the state.

The FCPS schools board has released that they would like to have a new Superintendent by July 1, 2017. Lockard will then return to his role as Deputy Superintendent.

“I am honored to serve and support FCPS in the interim role until a permanent Superintendent is selected,” said Lockard.