Literary Magazine inspires creativity

Lauren Kassilke, Staff Reporter

Every year an intricate piece of art comes out along with the yearbook: the Literary Magazine. Approximately 10-20 students meet once a week to compose both student literature and student art into a collective publication that is available at the end of each year.

For the first semester of the school year the club works hard to raise money for the publication.

“We usually do bake sales because it is easy for us since we are so small. We are not big enough to do something like dining for dollars,” Editor-in-Chief Mackenzie Krol (’17) said.

After the club has achieved their fundraising goal they open up the opportunity for students to submit their work, which is currently happening. Following submissions, each member of the club grades and selects their favorite pieces and begins to compile their individual pages.

“First we open submissions and then all the grading is done anonymously. The grading is based on creativity and the relativity to the theme. After we have gone through and paired down the submissions everyone chooses something for their own spread.  After that we just work on creating our spreads and then we send it off to print,” Krol said.

Each Magazine is roughly 50 pages, one to two pieces per page. Each member of the club is also required to submit their own work. Vice President of the club, Stephanie Leow has been apart of the club for the last 3 years and has submitted multiple pieces of work.

“I think it is interesting because it is a lot of graphic design and it is not just editing art or literature,” Leow said.

This year the club is also attempting a different theme. The theme is “Meraki” which is a greek word for putting yourself into your work.

“This year we are trying to incorporate international aspects to the magazine and get honor society people to write things. I believe students can get hours for that,” Literary Editor Van To said.

The club is trying to get people from language honor societies to contribute pieces that reflect on their languages culture.

At the end of the year, their finished product will be available for students to read and enjoy. Until then, however, the club members are hard at work.