Sixth man motivates basketball team to work hard

Grace McDonough, Features Editor

As basketball season progresses, Madison’s sixth man is ready for another season of success. The “sixth man” is the tradition for the student-based cheering section for basketball games. It has become a huge part for Madison basketball and all of their supporters, especially over the past couple of years.

“It’s one of the best things about going to games in general because you’re with all your friends and the whole school joins together to cheer on the team. Madison has always had a lot of school spirit so being apart of that is awesome,” Hannah Gaffney (’18) said.

The legacy and tradition of Madison’s sixth man brings all students and fans into the excitement of high school basketball and the community of Madison spirit.

“I’ve always dreamed of playing varsity basketball for Madison because of the sixth man and it hasn’t disappointed. Nothing gets the adrenaline pumping like a great atmosphere, so the game would be completely different without them,” Team Captain Johnny Hecht (’18) said.

The usual electricity and excitement of the home games, especially with cross town rivalries like Marshall and key games throughout the season, is fuel for both the players and the fans.

“The 6th man has a big impact, especially with rivalries like the Marshall game. When we play them, the gym is completely packed and the atmosphere is incredible. The student section really hyped us up and made it an energetic game,” Max Johnson (’19) said.

The section is usually filled completely, with its leaders starting cheers in the front and echoing them throughout the gym. It’s a job for more than one senior, but every year it sets a higher precedent for the new seniors to come.

“All of high school I’ve been waiting for my turn to stand in front and lead the student section and I’ve learned what to do by watching older grades from the past few years,” Thomas Maccall (’18) said.

The section is run by the upperclassmen, but the energy of game and halftime cheers gets every grade into the spirit.

“The communal feeling of standing in the student section really brings the fans and team together, which is always a boost to athletes. I think it also really helps bring grades closer because they’re all there together supporting the same thing,” Matt Howat (’19) said.

As Julia Pisani (’18) describes it, “I’ve been going to games since freshman year, and every year our sixth man stands out. I love seeing everyone come out over the years and support our team because I really think it encourages the players and school spirit. It’s especially fun to be a part of it this year because I get to watch and cheer on some of my closest friends,” the excitement of supporting your friends is a big part of the students who come to be apart of the sixth man.

“It’s a lot of fun watching my friends play and cheering [for them], especially during rivalries. I think we help the team a lot because we boost their confidence and get in the heads of our opponents,” Nero Schrader (’20) said.