Review: ‘Noises Off’ brings laughs, fascinating entertainment and astonishing talent to Madison High School

Spencer Todd, Entertainment Editor

Noises Off” by Michael Frayn is a comedic farce that follows the production crew of a play entitled Nothing On starting the day of their opening night performance. There’s only one problem: everything is going wrong.

The play follows the characters in three acts as mayhem consumes their production as sardines and tension run wild. The farce was recently chosen to be produced at our own high school, and the result is nothing but perfect. The production runs for 2 ½ to 3 hours, intermissions included, but it is definitely worth the time. The actors all knew of their lines and played every character amazingly.

Heather Colbert (’19) plays the comedic character of Dotty, who plays Mrs. Clackett in the play within the play. She added more non verbal motions and gestures with her character that really enhanced her performance and made her character funny. I would go as far as to say I liked her performance more than the movie version.

Henro Kriel (’19) plays Lloyd, the director of the play within the play. He played his part extremely well; his use of projection and body movement pushed his character over the top. He really did such an amazing job. Every line was a joy to watch.

Zach Spafford’s (’19) performance as Garry/Roger was extraordinary. He played his part perfectly and delivered every line with such passion and humor. He really sold his character.

Elenora Fiel (’21) perfectly captured her character as Brooke/Vicki, and she did a flawless job with delivering her lines. Her talent really shows in this production, and she had many memorable moments during the play. Very impressive.

Sidney Roth (’19) was amazing as Poppy, the stage manager in the play within the play. She really acted like the character and utilized her body motion and acting ability to propel the character foreword.

Ryaan Farhadi (’19) was astonishing as Freddy/Phillip, totally filling in the roll and selling the character. He was constantly in character. With every action he completed onstage, he really convinced the audience of his character. It was astounding to see this unfold.

Catherine Morrissey (’19) was stunning as Belinda/Flavia. She was perfectly cast in the roll, and she really embodied how I envisioned her character. I couldn’t think of a more perfect way to portray it.

Spencer Kury (’21) really showed his ability as Tim. Although he had few lines in act one, he took every chance he could to improve his character. Throughout the duration of the play, he really established himself and made his presence clear in each scene.

And, of course, Ransom Cain (’19) made an amazing performance as Selsdon/”The Burglar” and delivered each line so well. He was so entertaining to watch on stage and made everyone in the audience laugh whenever he entered.

The whole production was so perfectly cast that there is not even one change I would make. The set was absolutely stunning, and the deck crew did an absolutely amazing job. The deck had the tough task to rotate the whole set, but they managed to complete it in only 10 minutes. The lights and sounds were amazing; there were no mistakes, delays or off points. The house crew was very welcoming and helped guide everyone to where they needed to go. Everything from costumes to makeup to hair and props worked so well together to enhance the performance. The tech during this production was phenomenal and deserves so much recognition.

It was just so extremely impressive what MAD Drama was able to accomplish with this play. I just was so astonished by the massive amount of talent I saw on the stage Thursday night.

I have zero negative things to say. This play was a total 10/10. I just couldn’t stop laughing. The cast and crew really brought the production to life in a flawless way. This production is a must-see. It runs for the final time today, Saturday Nov. 10 at 2:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Get your tickets now here at MadisonDrama.com for $10 or at the door for $12.