7 times ‘The Simpsons’ unintentionally predicted the future 

Erin McCormick, Editor-in-Chief

“The Simpsons,” a series that has been airing on the FOX network for over 30 years, follows the life of Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie Simpson and has a reputation for unintentionally including plot lines that come eerily close to real events happening in the real world. Here are the most shocking predictions the show has made through the years. 

Season 2, Episode 4: “Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish”

In this episode, which premiered in 1990, Bart and Lisa are fishing at a river when Bart catches a fish. They discover that the fish has three eyes. They look up the river and see there is water coming from the nuclear plant. In 2011, a fisherman caught a three-eyed wolf fish in a reservoir in Argentina that received water from a nuclear plant. 

Season 2, Episode 18: “Brush with Greatness”

In this episode, which premiered in 1991, Marge Simpson sent a painting of Ringo Starr, a member of the Beatles, to the singer himself when she was in high school and never heard a response back. Then, decades later, Ringo Starr is responding to all his fan mail and Marge finally gets a response back. In 1963, two women from Essex sent a recorded message to Paul McCartney, another member of the Beatles, and received a reply in 2013, 50 years later. 

Season 5, Episode 10: “$pringfield”

In this episode, which premiered in 1993, a casino was built in Springfield where the magician duo Siegfried & Roy, who worked with a white tiger as part of their act, performed. In the show, they both get mauled by the tiger. Ten years later, in 2003, Roy was attacked by the tiger during a live performance. He survived with many injuries. 

Season 5, Episode 19: “Sweet Seymour Skinner’s Baadasssss Song”

In this episode, which premiered in 1994, lunch lady Doris added horse parts to the typical lunch in the elementary school. In 2013, officials discovered horse DNA in four beef products sold by Taco Bell, Bird’s Eye and catering supplier Baker. 

Season 11, Episode 17: “Bart to the Future”

This prediction is possibly one of the most well known as it predicted Trump’s presidency 16 years before he was elected. The episode took a peek into the future with Lisa becoming president of the United States. In a cabinet meeting, she said briefly, “We’ve inherited quite a budget crunch from President Trump.” The episode was aired in 2000, and President Trump was elected in 2016. 

Season 20, Episode 4: “Treehouse of Horror XIX”

In the cold open of this episode, Homer goes into a booth to vote for Barack Obama only for the machine to count it for John McCain. The episode aired in 2008 and something similar happened in 2012. A video went viral of a voting booth in Pennsylvania doing the same thing with Obama and Mitt Romney. The computer would not allow the person to click Obama and counted the vote for Romney instead. 

Season 25, Episode 16: “You Don’t Have to Live Like a Referee”

In this episode, which premiered in 2014, Homer is brought in to become a referee for the World Cup because the organization was having a shortage due to massive corruption. In one of the games Homer is refereeing, there was an attempt to bribe him to make sure Brazil wins, however, Homer makes fair calls throughout the game and Germany ends up winning the match. In reality, first, Germany did end up winning the World Cup that year and second, FIFA employees went through a number of arrests following accusations of bribery, fraud and money laundering.