6 COVID-safe Volunteer Opportunities in the DMV

PHOTO COURTESY OF TAMANNA RUMEE

Christina Luckett, Editor-In-Chief

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many volunteer activities have been cancelled. However, there are a variety of COVID-safe ways you can continue to help out in your communities. Here are just six.

Virtual Opportunities

One of the safest ways to volunteer right now is online. Whether you’re tech savvy or not, check out some of the virtual opportunities below to see how you can help.

United States Holocaust Memorial Museum

While volunteer interviews for in-person positions are currently suspended, you can continue to contribute to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and its work virtually by helping to transcribe data and interviews with Holocaust survivors and assemble research and resources. Consider volunteering through their World Memory Project, Every Name Counts and History Unfolded programs. 

Amnesty Decoders

As part of the Amnesty Decoders, you work virtually with other volunteers to analyze digital photos and documents to help identify and combat human rights violations around the world, including bomb strikes, oil spills and online harassment and abuse. All you need to participate is a smart phone or computer and internet access.

Offer to Tutor a Friend Virtually

Reach out to a friend who is interested in receiving tutoring in your favorite subject.

In-Person Opportunities

If you feel comfortable volunteering in person, here are some opportunities in the DMV area. Do not forget your mask!

Food for Others and Volunteer Fairfax

One of the most effective ways to volunteer, especially during these times, is to donate needed items. Right now, food donations and personal protective equipment are especially needed. In the DMV area, consider donating to Food for Others, located in Merrifield, or Volunteer Fairfax, located in the Fairfax County Judicial Center.

Meals on Wheels

If you are able to drive, consider delivering meals to older adults in the Fairfax area for Meals on Wheels. If you cannot drive, no worries. Students as young as 14 can volunteer to help prepare meals to distribute.

McLean Bible Church and Capital Area Food Bank

McLean Bible Church and Capital Area Food Bank have recently partnered to distribute food to those experiencing food insecurity in the Tysons and McLean area. Volunteers are needed to package and bag food. Sign up for a two-hour shift here.

Giving back to our communities is incredibly important. However, please remember that the pandemic is not over. If volunteering outside of your home, it is imperative that you follow all current public health guidelines to protect yourself and everyone around you.