Vienna Says Goodbye to Amphora After 44 Years

PHOTO COURTESY OF WTOP

PHOTO COURTESY OF WTOP

Katie Bartlett, Editor-In-Chief

Whether it be late-night munchies, 11 a.m. brunch or post band-practice meals, there was always one place that Vienna locals could count on: Amphora Restaurant and Diner. After 44 years of all-day breakfast, Amphora Group closed the doors of their Vienna location on Jan. 6, 2021. 

Amphora Diner has been a staple and icon of Vienna almost on par with Vienna Inn itself. Founded in 1977, Amphora offered a menu of over 350 items, ranging from burgers and grilled cheese to Greek, Mexican and Italian cuisines. Its steadfast reliability made it a go-to for Madison students looking for a late-night hangout or midnight milkshakes. “I loved going to Amphora at 1 a.m with friends after One Acts. We would stay there for hours, get dessert, and just talk. It was a lot of fun,” Susan Weinhardt (‘21) said.  

Co-owner Maria Bilidas attributed much of the decision to close over COVID-19 complications, and the challenges of running a restaurant business during a pandemic. 

“It’s impossible to put into words what this place has meant to so many,” Amphora’s owners said in their announcement on Facebook. “With all of the support you’ve shown us over the years, we are beyond humbled to have contributed to our local restaurant and neighborhood community.”

But, never fear, loyal lovers of Amphora! The Amphora umbrella has another location in Herndon, Virginia, that has virtually the same menu. If there ever comes a day when the urge for an Amphora grilled cheese is irresistible, not all is lost.