Madison fall sports continue to strive

Orion Luera, Sports Editor

Madison is known for taking sports very seriously. Last year, the football team exceeded their expectations on the field, making it all the way to the state semifinals. Unfortunately, they fell short of going to the state championship after losing to South County High School. This year, they are looking to bounce back and go even further. 

“This year is full of new players and different strengths and weaknesses,” Madison quarterback Connor Barry (’22) said. “The team’s goal is to go undefeated for the rest of the season and to win the state championship.” 

Just like the football team, the field hockey team stands undefeated in the district so far. They are planning to keep it that way. 

“This year’s team is very new but we look pretty strong,” Madison field hockey player Tess Satterfield (’23) said. “Last year’s team left us with a lot on our shoulders, so hopefully we can keep that reputation up. This team is very hardworking, so I predict a pretty strong rest of our season.“ 

The cross country team has been very successful so far. The top five runners recently won a special cross country relay against other local high school teams. 

“We’re feeling really good in terms of health and speed,” Madison cross country captain Jack Sprague (’22) said. “Our boys varsity team has very high hopes for the rest of the season, as we’re predicted to be state champions if we continue improving at the rate we are. Personally, I’m always looking forward to improving as a runner alongside my teammates, but I know that as a team, we’re looking forward to the state meet in November where the state title will be up for grabs.”

As the cross country team continues to excel through the season, the golf team is working just as hard to achieve their goals. 

“The team is looking really good,” Madison golf team captain Owen Taylor (’22) said. “I have been very dialed in and am hoping to post some low scores during regionals. If I can get my putter going we are going to have a really good shot at going to states.”  

The cheer team has also been heating up over the past few competitions. 

“The team is looking good,” Madison cheerleader Alyssa Morse (’23) said. “We practice a lot and every week we get better. So far the season’s going okay but we’ve had five concussions, and ten total injuries. I think by regionals we will have all the injuries back and probably place third.” 

Even with these setbacks, the cheer team is thinking positively, and hope to get back at it as more team members recover from their injuries.

The volleyball team has begun to come together and are equal in wins and losses so far.

“The team has really come together and most of us have played a season or two together before so we’re meshing really well,” Madison volleyball player Ella Karp (’22) said. “I think that for the rest of the season we’ll continue on to win more games as we grow more as a team.” 

Overall, Madison’s fall sports teams continue to climb the ladder to a successful season. The coaches and players are keeping positive mindsets and continue to have high hopes for the rest of the season.