Madison takes innovative approach to teaching

Natalie Francois, In-Depth Editor

As part of a plan to refocus learning at Madison, Gregory Hood, Madison’s principal, has enacted many changes for the 2016-2017 school year in order to emphasize the development of skills that students will use after graduating from high school, rather than pushing for higher grades.

There is a new test retake policy, as well as alternatives to midterms and other cumulative means of testing. Warhawk Time has also changed with the introduction of Stay-Put Mondays.

“It’s become clear to me, [the importance of] thinking about how we find other ways to assess not only what you know but what you can do with that knowledge,” Hood said. “How do you use real-life skills and presentation skills?”

As part of accomplishing this goal, students will now be required to remain in their assigned Warhawk Time classes every red Monday. During that time, there will be lessons aimed at teaching time-management, organizational and other “executive functioning” skills meant to help students succeed academically.

In addition to Stay-Put Warhawk Time, students will notice the incorporation of project-based learning activities to replace multiple-choice midterms and finals.

However, some teachers may still administer traditional midterms or finals. As Hood has granted teachers the option to choose the manner in which they assess students’ understanding of the material learned in class.

The administration and the math department have collaborated in particular to develop activities that can function as an alternative final assessment.

“I think project-based learning activities will give the students a sense of understanding and appreciation for a difficult course,” math teacher Marit Mautz said.

According to Mautz, these project-based learning activities will help students develop skills, understand the importance of learning math and recognize the ways in which they use math in their daily lives.
The math department is also introducing assessments that will measure students’ understanding of material on a quarterly basis.

“Because every math [class] is a stepping block toward the next course, quarterly assessments will allow for students to truly grasp that material and understand concepts prior to moving on to the next course,” Mautz said.

The addition of the quarterly assessments in math is not the only change to testing at Madison this year; there is also a new test retake policy. Students may now retake as many tests as they would like. However, the maximum grade that students can receive on a retake is a 90 percent, as, according to Hood, this percentage demonstrates understanding of the material.

Hood’s vision for the changes being made at Madison is reflected in the Madison Pyramid’s new theme: “One school. One community. One world.” The Student Government Association (SGA) is working with Hood to carry out this vision.

“Mr. Hood comes to meet with us about once a month during class,” Gracie Feutcher (’18) said. “In this SGA meeting we discussed changes we want to see. Mr. Hood helped us put those plans to action.”