Students strategize for AP courses

Students in multiple Advanced Placement (AP) courses share their tips on how to get the most out of every class.

Christine Kim, News Editor

Successfully taking multiple Advanced Placement (AP) classes is one of the many challenges high school students face. Although it may seem impossible, many students at Madison can guarantee that it is achievable.

One of the key elements to managing many AP classes is organization. Students tend to have unique organization habits such as using detailed agendas or creating to-do lists.

“Blue checks mean finished assignments. Orange indicates that it is not due the next class. Pink is an assessment, or lab and green is a big project or final. I cross out days that are done in black,” Cathleen Arase (’18) said about her color-coded planner.

Students with heavy workloads may become stressed as assignments increase throughout the year and teachers primarily focus on the approaching AP exams. As a result, students may try to find ways to overcome such stress through hobbies and extracurricular activities.

“Doing after school activities helps a lot. I participate in several clubs and I also play soccer, so it breaks up the time that I am actually spending sitting at my desk doing homework,” Jeanne Ernest (’17) said.

The purpose behind taking specific AP classes can serve as motivation. Some students choose their AP classes based on what they would like to further study in college, while others choose their courses out of pure interest.

“My advice is to take whatever classes you want to take,” Ernest said. “For me, those six AP’s were the classes that I wanted to take. I did not sign up for [my courses] because of the AP credit, college or pressure at home or school but because I was interested in them.”

Remain calm, especially when the weight of multiple AP classes seems heaviest. Teachers are often willing to answer questions and provide useful resources. There is always help available to those who seek it.