Madison Students Celebrate Multi-Cultural Holiday Traditions

Mehru Adnan, News Editor

PHOTO COURTESY OF SAMUEL BRYNGELSSON

The holidays are a festive time to welcome the end of a year. Even though COVID-19 is set to make this holiday season pretty untraditional, students are still finding ways to maintain tradition with their family and friends. Some families celebrate multiple holidays, leaving students with a busy schedule filled with different traditions come December.

“Around this time of year I celebrate Hanukkah, typically in early December,” Will Manousos (’22) said. “Then I normally see family around Christmas time and spend New Years with my friends. It’s sometimes weird for my dad to celebrate both Jewish holidays as he didn’t grow up with them, and it’s a similar story with my mom and Christian holidays.”

Though COVID-19 has made it difficult to spend time with loved ones, students still find family gatherings to be their favorite tradition of the season. 

“The holidays are a time to get everyone together,” Sofia Catala-Velez (’21), who celebrates Christmas and Three Kings’ Day, said. “It’s usually the only time that we’ll see my extended family. Either we go to Puerto Rico or they come to us, so we only get to see each other once a year.” 

Students are also celebrating customs that exist outside of the traditional holiday lineup. 

“For News Years we wear yellow underwear for good luck and money, and at midnight you have to eat 12 green grapes really quick,” Catala-Velez said. “We also celebrate Three Kings’ Day, which is January 6th, which is like a second Christmas, but all your presents are hidden around the house and you have to go find them.”

Regardless of the holiday, this festive time is a great way to reflect on the challenging year that was 2020, and look forward to a hopefully brighter future in 2021. 

“The holidays represent a time of festivity and happiness, and a time to appreciate what you are given and be able to enjoy time with your loved ones,” Manousos said.